Monday, May 27, 2013

Family Tree Fact

Have you ever wondered about your family tree?

I have.

I kept watching those commericals put on television by Ancestry.com, and I wondered if it could be so easy. What did I find? Well, I found that it is expensive. However, Ancestry.com does offer a free trial membership. I decided to take advantage of it. I found a cousin that I previously didn't even know existed. He had some information about my family and Ellis Island and when they immigrated to the United States. I was amazed that we could track our family tree (on my father's side) back so far, and then I realized it really wasn't that long ago. My family hasn't really been in the United States for that long--only a couple of generations.

My great, great, grandfather was a little boy when his family made the trip across the Atlantic Ocean on a ship called the Kroonland. William (Wilhelm) Ivanick (spelled Iwanck in the ship’s manifest) and family sailed from Antwerp on September 6, 1902 and arrived in New York on Sept.ember 15 on the ship Kroonland.. Family members included wife Julia and 5 children Anna, Julianna, Karl (Leo), Wilhelmina (Minnie) and Irma. William's occupation is listed as "Miner." Their nationality is shown as "Lower Austian."

www.ellisisland.org For more information about finding your own family. 

Weight 12,760 gross tons; 600 (bp) feet long; 60 feet wide, two funnels, four masts.
Steam tripple expansion engines, twin screw. Service speed 17 knots.
Accommodation 1,537 passengers, 343 first class, 194 second class,
1,000 third class. Laid up in 1926; scrapped in Italy in 1927.

Picture and Information courtesy of Ellis Island Historical Records


http://www.searlecanada.org/volturno/volturno78.html


No comments:

Post a Comment